The Swindon & Cricklade Railway's Vintage Train Project
GWR 'Toplight' tri-composite No 7545

Background The Great Western Railway needs no further introduction here. GWR Toplight No 7545 before start of restoration
No 7545 as it was at the Swindon & Cricklade Railway for a number of years, in the condition of its withdrawal from departmental service.
GWR Toplight No 7545 in Hayes Knoll shed
Taken in 2007, the coach is seen with external cladding replaced
GWR Toplight No 7545 outside Hayes Knoll shed
A rare trip into the open air - doors and beading replaced.
External mouldings being replaced on GWR Toplight No 7545
Work is now concentrating on the external mouldings.
Carriage
No 7545
No 7545 is a tri-composite bogie coach, a survivor of a batch of 16 and built in 1907. It was in passenger service until 1958, when it was relegated to departmental use. No 7545 was finally withdrawn in 1979.
At the railway No 7545 was privately purchased soon after withdrawal and moved to the railway.
      Initial plans for restoration did not go ahead, and it was some years before the Toplight Coach Group was formed to take the project forward. The Group's first significant move was to finance and assist with an extension to the shed at Hayes Knoll, so that the coach could be brought under cover.
      Since then, work has progressed regularly as the pictures alongside show.
As at December 2011With the new roof boards all in place, work is now ongoing with the application of external mouldings. When these are completed, interal fitting-out will begin. Thought is also being given to applying the roof canvas.
As at December 2012 Work continues with external mouldings. When the restorers have finished work on Taff Vale No 73, they will be in a position to commence internal fitting-out.




More detail on Toplight Coach Group
S&CR
main page
Project
main page
Cambrian
No 110
Toplight
No 7545
N London
No 111
Taff Vale
No 73
Brake
No 422
Links
page

Write to us