The Swindon & Cricklade Railway's Vintage Train Project
North London Railway 1st class No 111

Background The North London Railway was one of the smallest of the pre-grouping railway companies, with just 13 route miles to its name. However, these led westwards from London's East and West India Docks and intersected the lines of the Greast Eastern, the Great Northern, the Midland, the London & North Western and the Great Western and the London & South Western. With passenger facilities at Fenchurch Street and later Broad Street in London, and with a complex of physical connections and negotiated running powers, the NLR came to operate over 50 route miles, serving such places as Richmond, Potters Bar, Barnet and Enfield. Management of the NLR was taken over by the LNWR in 1909, but the company was not wound up until the Grouping.
      Today, most NLR routes remain open under the management of the North London Line, the Docklands Light Railway and the East London Line.
North London No 111 on arrival at Blunsdon
No 111 arrives at the Swindon & Cricklade Railway from Quedgeley near Gloucester. Crane hook visible top right! Also on the right - Cambrian No 110. Both coaches are now under a large waterproof 'polytunnel'.
Polytunnel protecting NLR No 111 and Cambrian No 110 at Blunsdon
Perhaps this is a good place to introduce the 'polytunnel'. It is, of course, now covered by a close-fitting polythene cover, but this view shows No 111 and Cambrian No 110 more clearly. Essentially a very large horticultural greenhouse, it has proved an excellent low-cost solution.
Drawing of North London Railway 1st Class carriage similar to No 111
Very similar to No 111 - a drawing from The Engineer magazine of 1869.
Carriage
No 111
No 111 is a four-wheeled 1st class carriage. It enjoys some rareity, having been built for a railway used to moving large numbers of 3rd-class passengers. All North London stock was highly standardised and tended to spend its working life as part of one of the the close-coupled 'block trains' found throughout the system. These sets of four-wheelers were perpetuated by the LNWR after its effective take-over in 1909. They built more, and they lasted until electrification.
Subsequent life Once sold out of railway service, ending, it is believed, with service with the Armed Forces, No 111 was privately purchased and converted to become part of a bungalow at Quedgeley near Gloucester. Here it was joined by one half of an ex-NLR brake van, and both were saved (under the noses of the developer's bulldozers) and moved to the railway.
      Apart from alteration for domestic use, both bodies were in an excellent state of preservation, having been protected by an external pitched roof.
At the railway Because of its basically excellent condition little 'emergency work' was necessary. The 'domestic' wall cladding from 'bungalow' days has been removed to allow better air circulation, as has the felt cladding on the roof.
      While restoration work on No 111 is 'on hold' in favour of other projects for the time being, the opportunities to recover parts from other NLR vehicles have not been overlooked, and a suitable underframe is in stock.
      The half brake-vehicle body has been freshly weatherproofed, and now serves as the Vintage Train Project's Blunsdon store.
S&CR
main page
Project
main page
Cambrian
No 110
Toplight
No 7545
N London
No 111
Taff Vale
No 73
Brake
No 422
Links
page

Write to us