Swindon &
Cricklade
Railway

Diesels on the Railway

Home Events Parties Find us Blunsdon Hayes Knoll The Line News
Drive a loco
Membership
Pictures
Links Page
Site Index
History
Steam on the Railway
Stock list

Diesels on the Railway
Stock list

Rolling stock on the Railway

Stations on the Railway

Hayes Knoll shed

BR(s) Class 73/0 Electro-Diesel No E 6003 "Sir Herbert Walker" Built in 1962, E 6003 was moved to the Railway by its owning group from the Great Central Railway. Since arriving at Blunsdon, extensive overhaul has included work on the roofs over the cab ends.
Sir Herbert Walker
BR Class 08 Diesel Electric No 13261 seen here at the railway's October 2010 Diesel Gala. Something of a surprise, as the loco is still in the final stages of restoration. The Gala appearance was its first duty on a passenger train since arriving at the railway from Brighton in 1996. 08 on passenger train
BR Class 03 Diesel Mechanical No 03 022 was built at Swindon in 1958 and was allocated to Immingham. After 23 years it moved to Darlington and then to Gateshead, where it was a regular station pilot.
It was sent to Swindon for scrapping in 1983, but was purchased and moved to the Swindon & Cricklade instead.
03 on goods train
Fowler 0-4-0 DH shunter 4220031 was built in 1964, and came to the Railway from the Slough & Windsor Railway Society. It was subsequently purchased by its present owner, and has undergone a complete mechanical overhaul plus bodywork repairs. Modern additions include LED marker lights, high intensity headlights, through vacuum pipe with setter (brake operating valve) and twin air horns. Fowler DH shunter
Fowler 0-4-0 DM shunter FB7342was built in 1958, and worked at Swindon's Pressed Steel car body plant.
In 1980 it came to the Swindon & Cricklade railway on loan, and was subsequently purchased by members. It is now an invaluable shunter and 'works train' locomotive.
Fowler on works train
Fowler 0-4-0 DM shunter 21442 'Woodbine'was built in 1933, and worked at WD&HO Wills' Swindon factory. It was registered with the GWR in 1941 (as No 211) so as to be allowed to work into their sidings. Woodbine was presented to the Swindon & Cricklade Railway when Wills' closed their factory in 1980. The story goes that Swindon works fitted Woodbine with a steam-style chimney as a joke when the locomotive was once sent there for overhaul. Woodbine
Class 207 "Thumper" 2-car DEMU set No 1302 came to the Railway from main-line service after a brief period in storage. In basically sound mechanical and interior condition, it provided valuable "off peak" passenger services on the Railway.
These units were built by BR (Southern) in the 50s. 207203 was bought from Porterbrook.
In May 2016 the unit suffered an arson attack, which destroyed the Driving Trailer. Thanks to sympathetic support from the heritage movement, restoration of a replacement Driving Trailer is now underway. Click here to see the progress of this work.
Thumper at Hayes Knoll



Undergoing restoration / major overhaul
Two-car Class 119 DMU set built by the Gloucester Railway Carriage and Wagon Company in 1959. It includes motor cars 51074 and 51104, both at present in Network South East livery. When they are fully restored, the Railway believes these two units will allow it to run the only Class 119 set in preservation.
Home Events Parties Find us Blunsdon Hayes Knoll The Line News

Write to us